"I understood that the world was nothing: a mechanical chaos of casual, brute enmity on which we stupidly impose our hopes and fears. I understood that, finally and absolutely, I alone exist. All the rest, I saw, is merely what pushes me, or what I push against, blindly—as blindly as all that is not myself pushes back."


Friday, March 4, 2011

What is Grendel’s attitude toward language? How does it change throughout the novel?


In the beginning of Grendel, Grendel has some knowledge of language. He understands what people are saying and what their actions mean. Grendel cannot speak or communicate to others, but can make noises. He tries to communicate by moaning, or growling. Throughout the story, Grendel starts to understand how to say words and is able to make sentences. He communicates with Unferth, who seems to understand. Also, the structure of his storytelling starts to evolve. He begins using italics and brackets. Some of his story is in poetry format. At the end of the story, he seems to understand more due to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment