"I understood that the world was nothing: a mechanical chaos of casual, brute enmity on which we stupidly impose our hopes and fears. I understood that, finally and absolutely, I alone exist. All the rest, I saw, is merely what pushes me, or what I push against, blindly—as blindly as all that is not myself pushes back."


Friday, March 4, 2011

Why do you think Gardner made the decision to use Grendel as a narrator? How does Grendel’s status as a monster affect the way he tells the story?


I think Gardner made Grendel the narrator so we, the reader, can understand him more. It’s also Grendel’s story; he should be able to tell it. I think if someone, or something in this case, narrates their own story, you’re getting their perspective on things. You understand them more because not only are they telling you what is happening, they are telling you what they are thinking and how they are reacting to situations. Grendel’s status as a monster does affect the way he tells the story. He feels misunderstood and wants the reader to understand him.

No comments:

Post a Comment